Thursday, January 15, 2009

Panic and obsessive behaviour

I am a panic-er...ya know...one of those people who can take a small little thing and blow it completely out of proportion. Now before I go too far...it must be said that when it comes to my kids...nothing is small and there is no such thing as "out of proportion". If I think that they are being mistreated or are unsafe the "proportions" get re-defined entirely. The panic I am talking about revolves more around things like this example... In reality - the car is making a sound. In my head - the engine is falling out! That sort of panic. Something that is likely inconsequential that becomes, in my mind at least, a source of total hysteria.

I also have the amazing ability to obsess over things...a lot. I get an idea in my head and I can't get it out no matter how hard I try. Like for instance, this last Christmas. Santa was bringing the children Nerf guns...the big ones. A work friend of mine brought his new Vulcan Nerf cannon in one day and let me try it. This is a chain fed fully automatic machine gun (Nerf style); so much fun I almost injured my co-worker. Once I had this gun in my hand, I knew that John had to have one. There is only one way to fend of a 3-4 kid tactical team with a heavily stocked arsenal...and that is with a fully automatic chain fed machine gun. 8 days before Christmas...I begin searching for this gun...and searching...and searching. I call stores and wait 30 minutes for someone to help me. I surf the internet and for a moment, just one moment mind you, consider paying 3 times the amount this gun normally sells for just so that he can have one. HE MUST HAVE THIS GUN...DON'T YOU SEE PEOPLE...IF HE DOESN'T GET THIS GUN IT COULD MEAN THE CESSATION OF LIFE AS WE KNOW IT!!!

I mean that kind of obsessive...

A couple of weeks ago my cousins were in town from California. My family had a dinner get together to visit with them. While we were chatting, Emmy mentioned that she would be doing the Renaissance festival again this year in Cali. My oldest brother and his wife were seriously thinking of going.

Cut to last week...

We are having Sunday dinner at my parents house and Mike mentions to us that we should come along. I would really like to go, but figure we couldn't really swing it. John turns to me and says..."well...it wouldn't be that expensive we could do it for a late anniversary thing..."

Initiate obsessive tendencies now!

I begin calculating days and strategizing ways to save money so that we can maximize our spending abilities within the fair. I get the nod of approval from Mike...since we are crashing their trip. I start looking on the internet for hotels....SKREETCHHH...the hotels that are recommended on the fairs website are filling up!!! What ever will we do!!!

Initiate panic tendencies now!

By the time I discover this it is after 9PM. I pick up the phone and call my brother. "Mike you gotta decide when we are leaving, coming back, what we are going to eat, how much oxygen we are going to use, what the alignment of the planet will mean for the tides, and if this mole on my back looks funny...RIGHT NOW!!! THE HOTELS ARE FILLING UP!!! DO YOU HEAR ME MAN! WHY ARE YOU SO QUIET ON THE OTHER END OF THE LINE???

*chirp* (the sound of crickets)

A few long painful seconds pass...

Mike - "Ya know Ang...California is a big place. There are lots of hotels...those five hotels on the website aren't the only places we can stay. We could even stay in Anaheim and drive up...it is not that far..."

Me - "oh... I guess you are right...didn't think of that"

panic turning to a low simmer...obsession at an all time HIGH!!!

This trip is going to be fantastic! A weekend away with my husband, the kids safely stowed with family. I can't wait! REALLY I CAN'T WAIT!!! MAKE IT APRIL! MAKE IT APRIL RIGHT NOW DANG IT!!!! WHY ISN'T IT APRIL NOW!

I just hope the other members of the party survive to go!

7 comments:

Murph said...

Oxygen? I didn't think of that! What are we gonna do? There is no oxygen in SoCal... we're gonna have to bring our own!
Hehehehehe...
Good post.
Is it April yet?

Jaz said...

I have no idea what you are talking about........yeah right. I had no idea that you were part of my kingdom (seeing as how I'm the queen mother of Crazy Town). I got some good meds if you need them before your trip (which sounds like a lot of fun and I am jealous)

Don and ME said...

I laghed out loud reading your post today! Thanks! Sometimes we need to be reminded that that is normal behavior and other people "suffer" from it too!

Stac said...

I thought this was supposed to go when you were no longer pregnant. Do I need to come up with a list of 'safe' things for you to surf on the net so you don't look up how we're all going to die in 2033 due to lack of the ozone?

Give me money said...

col

Give me money said...

col

Give me money said...

col